Monday, June 8, 2009

Boom in the bag




Oh, well. I missed out on doing the nationals but as I understand, the new boats suffered from various failures due to being new boats so I don't think I would have faired any better.

I spent half of today laminating up the boom. It's a tapered oval section (I don't believe in going easy on myself). Basically a 60mm OD PVC tube cut down the horizontal centerline to within a meter of the back and a wedge shoved down the front end to create the taper. The whole thinf is then wrapped in plastic which becomes the inside of the bag. 1 layer od 450g 45*45 carbon, 3 layers each side of 300g unis (which over lap top and bottom to create 6 layers) then a finishing layer of 200g plain weave to make it look pretty. Unfortunatly I don't think the 200g will help in the pretty dept as I think it will have some creases in it once it's out of the bag :-(

P.S. By the way, yes it is supposed to be bent...

1 comment:

  1. We didn't fare to well in the results - but given when Miracle Drug first went to a race the carriage failed and it never started we didn't do too bad. Got some really good feedback on the boats, which can only be found when racing.

    New boat is coming along well, good work

    ReplyDelete