Sunday, September 13, 2009

Still no official first race...

Well, the first race day was today. What a disaster. Actually disaster's a bit harsh, the Hindenberg was a disaster, this was a bit less horrific. Super puffy westerly breeze on Pittwater which sucks in a westerly at the best of times. I got trashed sailing out of the moored boats and capsized a bunch of time (but managed to stay dry), the boat is real easy to right luckily. I then tried to sail upwind into the worst of it but had a hard time tacking as I couldn't hold any momentum to take me through the tack. I kind of sorted this out with more speed into the tack but this also resulted in a few over tacks and a quick swim. My wife sailed near at this stage and said she wasn't going to venture down to the race course so I decided to stay with her. Upwind got better and there were some smoking reaches followed by some smoking swims in the gybe. Anyway, I made it back to the club without breaking anything and as I de-rigged the conditions moderated (of course). In the end I would have probably been OK by the time the race started but as it didn't count towards anything I'm happy with my decision and best of all, because I didn't start, I haven't had my first race yet so I can save it for a better day...

2 comments:

  1. That sounds a bit like my first IC day, was that 3 or 4 years ago? Except I stayed out and it ended up a drift.

    What works for me tacking:
    Move in to feet on gunwale, clear all the loose mainsheet to the deck aft of the carriage, helm down, move in quickly, throw seat across in one action, then get yourself out on the new side about 2 seconds before the sail fills again. Do not let go the tiller until on new heading or you end up in irons.
    I do not know how the other guys get time for jib sheets as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any more updates? This is a well cool blog! Andy

    ReplyDelete